Your smile is the mirror of your heart. That’s the warmest response you can give to the other person. But how confident are you about your smile? How often have you felt that your teeth and your smile have held back your confidence? Well if any of the above-mentioned conditions have bothered you then we at Aruma Dental and Implant Clinic have a solution to your problems.
We are known to provide the best orthodontic treatment in Thane.
What is orthodontic treatment?
Orthodontic treatment involves the correction of the misaligned, spaced, or crowded teeth with the help of devices called Braces. The Braces system is made up of parts that are attached to your teeth and they aid to move your teeth in the desired direction.
Indications for braces:
- Crooked teeth: A condition in which your teeth either overlap each other due to crowding or they can be protruded.
- Gaps in teeth: Spaces in teeth are often a cause of worry and require orthodontic treatment.
- Malocclusion: Whenever your teeth are not in the normal occlusion they are said to be maloccluded. This can be of three types:
Overbite: Whenever your upper teeth overlap lower teeth to an extent that they are barely seen, this condition is called an overbite.
Open bite: When the upper and lower teeth do not meet each other while a person closes his mouth, this condition is called an open bite.
Crossbite: In most cases, the upper teeth are placed more towards your lips and the lower jaw line is more towards your tongue. But in some cases, the lower teeth are placed outside the upper teeth and this condition usually causes an occlusal trauma and often leads to the mobility of teeth.
This requires immediate intervention.
What are the advantages of aligning your teeth?
The brackets do not just improve your smile, they do a lot more to restore the functionality of your oral cavity:
- Well-aligned teeth help in maintaining good oral hygiene
- The functionality of teeth improves and so does their efficiency
- Reduced trauma and attrition of teeth
- Enhances speech and smile
- Reduced rate of cavities
How do braces work?
Braces work by the principle of force; they put pressure on your teeth and move them in a specific direction.
Parts of the braces system are:
- Brackets: The small square appliances that are attached to the front of the tooth with the help of a bonding agent. Brackets can be of metal or ceramic and patients can choose the types of brackets they want.
- Archwires: These are the wires that are attached to the brackets and they aid in moving the teeth. The material used can be as per the patient’s choice.
- Ligature: Elastic bands that help in attachment of wires to the bracket.
A few other parts are buccal tube, elastic bands, coilsprings, etc
At times to correct the bone anomalies, various appliances as headgear, chin cap, and other expansion units are used.
Headgear: It is an appliance that is used in the correction of the bite and aid in the proper growth of the jaws. It is used in growing children. Unlike braces which are inside the mouth, a headgear is partially outside.
Chin cap: This is also a part of early orthodontic treatment wherein we can regulate the growth of bone in severe malocclusion cases.
Orthodontic expansion plates: This method is used to increase space in the upper dentition.
We believe in addressing the problem young and subsequently providing a preventive treatment. Dr. Uma Kachapilly and her team assess each patient and decide the treatment plan.
Types of braces
- Metal brackets: These conventional braces are made up of metal. The braces, wires, and loops are all made up of metal. They are attached to the front of the tooth and create pressure and move your teeth.
- Aesthetic or ceramic braces: Ceramic braces work on the same principle as metal braces but they are of the same colour as the teeth so they are more appealing to the eyes.
- Lingual braces: These braces are attached to the back surface of the tooth and are not visible to anyone
- Invisalign: They are the latest technology available. They do not use any wires, brackets, or loops. These are removable and they cover the teeth well and are very effective.
We provide the patients with all the options available. They can decide depending upon their needs and affordability.
How long would I have to wear braces?
We make a necessary evaluation of each patient and access the estimated treatment time.
The various factors that decide are:
- The extent of the problem: The treatment always depends upon how severe the problem is. Some procedures like bone expansion and the usage of headgear and chin cap to guide the bone growth can take time.
- Availability of Space: To move the teeth, there should be enough space in the jaws. Space creation can take some time and prolong the treatment time.
- Perseverance of the patient: Orthodontic treatment requires visits every month, so the patient needs to cooperate for effective and better results
- Aftercare: The patient must take care of their braces. Aftercare is highly important for the success of the treatment. Our expert team would guide you with detailed aftercare protocols.
The usual treatment span is around 1 year to 3 years. Once the treatment is finished we would give you a retainer that needs to be worn to avoid any relapse.
Common concerns associated with braces
- Would my treatment be painful? – The braces work with the principle of pressure to straighten your teeth. It could be painful for a day after the commencement of the treatment and it could pain for a few hours after your monthly visits. But that can be taken care of with mild sedatives. The mucosal pain due to braces can be taken care of by an ointment.
- Which foods to avoid during the treatment?: A few foods to avoid during orthodontic treatments are
Sticky food like caramel, candy gums, and popcorns
Hard food nuts, hard rolls, pizza crusts, etc
- Cost of the treatment:The orthodontic treatment goes for a year or more. The cost depends upon the time taken during the treatment and the material that the patient opts for.
- What is the right age to get treatment?
It’s always better to address the problem in childhood. But even adults can get their treatment done and the results in adults are great as well.
- Will my teeth be extracted?
Not always, depending upon your jaw size and space availability that has to be decided. Teeth are usually extracted in cases where there is a paucity of space for the movement of the teeth.
Why choose us for orthodontic treatment?
We have our team of many dentists working towards each patient concern. We are experts in this field and have a rich experience of more than 10 years. We have treated patients with various orthodontic needs. The transition from a not so healthy smile to a beautiful and healthy smile would be a cakewalk for all our patients, so walk into Aruma Dental and Implant Clinic because you are in safe hands.
Your beautiful smile is our responsibility